24 hour caregiver, a-1 home care, elder care, Elderly in home care, first day with 24 hour caregiver, homecare, in home care, Live-In Caregiver, orange county, orange county in home care, senior care, seniors, tips for first day with caregiver
Your parent has lived alone for decades. Now that you have decided to hire a 24-hour caregiver to stay with your mom or dad, you are eagerly and anxiously anticipating the day when the certified nurse aide will arrive at the door of your elderly loved one’s home for the very first time. This will be quite an adjustment for your mom or dad, since they have been taking care of themselves for so many years, and now they have to accept help from a stranger. What are everyone’s expectations? Here are a few tips for the first day:
- Be prepared for your parent’s response. Every senior is different; some may like the idea of having a round-the-clock caregiver to be there, while others may be resistant to having a complete stranger in their home.
- Ask the caregiver if she wants you there on the first night; otherwise, you can give her some space and let her settle in and get acquainted with your elderly loved one. She can call you if there’s an emergency or crisis.
- Be flexible in case the caregiver or your loved one calls and requests your presence. Always have a duffle bag ready with your clothes and toiletries in case you need to spend the night.
- Stay calm and positive. If you’re not panicking, your elderly loved one will see that and your attitude will be contagious.
- Communicate with the agency if you’ll need a live-in caregiver to stay up all night. This will help the care managers arrange for 24 hour care that includes vigilance throughout the night.
Living with a new “roommate” who will look after you, take care of you, and cook for you is an adjustment for sure. Take heart! A-1 Home Care has been delivering exceptional companion care to seniors for over two decades, and our care managers are experts at matching the perfect live-in caregiver with your mom or dad. We strive to create harmony in the home, and as a licensed, bonded and insured home care agency, we send you only the best and most trustworthy caregivers you can find in LA and Orange County!
Call A-1 Home Care today (562) 929-8400 or visit our website www.a-1homecare.com for services in Newport Beach, Whittier, Manhattan Beach, Laguna Beach, Fullerton, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and other cities throughout LA and Orange County.